Do you have a passion for Canadian Military History? Do you want to have an impact on the operations of a major Canadian institution in France? Are you looking for a new and exciting research experience? Apply to participate in the Juno Beach Centre Fellowship Program!
The Juno Beach Centre Fellowship will be granted to an applicant who shows they can make a positive impact on the Juno Beach Centre through their research. The program offers a unique opportunity for fostering future careers and enhancing educational experiences. The duration of the fellowship is one year, with research taking place within your Post-Secondary institution in Canada AND at the Juno Beach Centre in Courseulles-sur-Mer. Throughout the Fellowship term, the Fellow is expected to act as an ambassador for the Juno Beach Centre and communicate regular updates on the status of their research to the staff in Canada and Normandy.
The Fellowship Program includes a trip to the Juno Beach Centre to conduct primary research; travel will be subsidized up to $2000. On completion of the Fellowship and delivery of the final research report, recipients will receive an honorarium of $2000.
This year, the Juno Beach Centre has prepared a broad range of themes from which the Fellow should draw inspiration to elevate their research topic. These themes look forward to the 75th anniversary of D-Day and the Normandy Campaign in 2019, as well as dealing with day-to-day operations of the JBC in the areas of tourism, marketing, and sales. The 2017/2018 Fellow has the opportunity to provide research and ideas that will shape JBC operations and programming in the coming areas.
History and Curation
Research related but not limited to:
- Commemorative, historical, and educational programming for the 75th anniversary of D-Day Landings and Normandy Campaign
- The relationship between British and Canadian Forces on Juno Beach, highlighting the role of British Forces on Juno and into Normandy; and the connection British visitors have with the Juno Beach Centre.
- The overall history of the Battle of Normandy, with a focus on the experiences and stories of individual Canadian regiments following their progress from D-Day throughout the duration of the Normandy Campaign
- The curation and creation of a detailed, minutiae timeline tracking Canadian actions and anecdotes through embarkation, disembarkation on D-Day, and the days immediately following (approximately June 4 to 11)
- The presentation of current Canadian culture and society to non-Canadian visitors of the Juno Beach Centre, as part of the preparations for a new permanent exhibit entitled “Canada Today”
- The curation and creation of selected, detailed biographies, including individuals representing the regiments, units, regions, and nationalities involved in the D-Day landings and the Normandy Campaign
Tourism and Marketing
- The development of tourism, marketing, and fundraising programs to run in advance of and through 2019 in honour of the 75th anniversary in order to raise awareness and garner support for the Juno Beach Centre
Logistics and Business
- Every year, the Juno Beach Centre coordinates the import of thousands of items from dozens of vendors. Any of the many factors such as custom requirements, exchange rates, boutique sales and inventory, and international shipping at play could be considered as part of an international trade and export case study.
Who Can Apply
- The Fellowship Program is open to Graduate students (Master’s or Doctoral candidates)
- The Fellow must be enrolled at an accredited university prior to the start of the Fellowship Program
- The Fellow should be enrolled in a program that complements the research to be done
Responsibilities and Expectations of the Fellow
- Produce a tangible product (research paper, project, work, etc.) that shows dedicated skill and research. The parameters of the product are open to interpretation, but should be outlined in detail in the submission proposal.
- Act as a representative and ambassador of the JBCA/JBC in a meaningful and respectful way.
- Behave in a professional manner when conducting research in Normandy
- Work with the staff at the JBCA/JBC and maintain regular communication
The Fellow is also encouraged to present their work throughout the Fellowship term in academic or public settings, acknowledging the JBCA/JBC as funders of the research.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should apply directly to the Juno Beach Centre Association in Canada by sending a completed Application Package.
Application Packages must include:
- A Motivation Letter stating your interest in the Juno Beach Centre Fellowship Program, outlining your selected area of focus or study, and briefly describing how your research will impact the Juno Beach Centre or how it relates to the Juno Beach Centre’s missions and mandate;
- A CV;
- A 2-3 page Research Proposal outlining your research scope, both independently in Canada and in Normandy; the goals of your research, detailing how it will impact the Juno Beach Centre as well as its benefit to your own academic/professional aspirations. It should be clear from the research proposal which theme the Fellow has used as inspiration;
- A Proposed Work Plan indicating when you would travel to Normandy to complete your residency, as well as an outline of how you would conduct your studies at the Centre and in Normandy. This should include details of any support you will need from the JBC staff before or during the trip;
- A sample of your work/writing (an essay, report, published articles, etc.);
- A minimum of 2 letters of reference, from relevant academic or professional sources.
Application Packages should be sent, as a single PDF document, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send to the attention of “The JBC Fellowship Selection Committee;” use “Last Name – Fellowship Application” as a subject line for the email.
- The application deadline is May 31, 2017
- Fellows will be announced in June 2017
- The Fellowship Term should begin no later than September 2017. Final Reports will be presented to the JBC/JBCA in November 2018.
For more information, please contact the Juno Beach Centre Association.