The Juno Beach Centre is the only Canadian museum on the D-Day landing beaches in Normandy, France. The Centre is dedicated to the transmission of the memory of Canadians who gave their lives for their country during the Second World War. It is also an educational space for new generations, highlighting Canada’s role in the preservation of freedom. For more information, please visit www.junobeach.org
The JBC is seeking a Visitor Services Manager for its museum in Courseulles-sur-Mer, in France, within a French/Canadian team of less than 15 people, including 7 Canadian guides.
Reporting to the Director of the Centre, the Visitor Services Manager is generally responsible for the visitor services of the Juno Beach Centre, guaranteeing optimal quality of service and visitor satisfaction, which notably includes the management of the guide program, the day to day management of the guide team (7 guides yearly), visitor interaction on site and on all relevant online platforms, and the management of daily cash operations.
The Visitor Services Manager is amicable, approachable and dynamic, motivated by experience in similar roles, equipped with a sense of leadership and public relations. They have knowledge in customer service, team management, history and interpretation. They show great diplomacy in intercultural relations. The ability to fluently communicate, read, and write in both of Canada’s official languages is essential for this job.
The Visitor Services Manager has a vision for the memorial mission of the JBC and is driven to provide excellent customer service in order to create an experience that rises to the challenges faced by museums in the twenty-first century. The Visitor Services Manager is committed to the high quality of visitor services that make the Juno Beach Centre a “Destination of Distinction” and a “Pilgrimage Destination”
Date to start: May 1, 2020
- Management of reception hall and visitor services; supervision and participation in these tasks
- Management of guide program (recruitment; assistance with obtaining visas and arrival of guides; training; daily management of team; conflict resolution)
- Management of the guide team
- Creation and maintenance of professional relationships with visitors and tourism partners
- Responsibility for the Qualité Tourisme label
- VIP and personalised tours/conferences/greetings at the request of the Director
- Online interaction with visitors before and after their visit to the site
- Management of daily cash operations (management of tills, floats, deposits)
- University diploma in a relevant field such as museum studies, history, social sciences or equivalent combination of work experience in visitor services and team management in a similar role
- Experience in a similar role, preferably in Canada
- Knowledge of the historical content of the museum and its field
- Proven ability to manage and train a guide team
- Proven ability to interact with the public and lead by example
- Knowledge of Canadian history, military history, or the museum field
- Good grasp of social media and digital communications
Skills and attributes
- Ease and comfort with oral and written communication in both French and English
- Understanding of the Canadian approach to professional hospitality and customer service, and ability to have the JBC profit from such knowledge
- Comfort and ease with interpersonal relationships
- Proven ability to manage, supervise and motivate staff
- Excellent skills in planning, organisation and conflict resolution
The successful candidate is expected to be occasionally available evenings and weekends to represent the organisation at public events.
French work contract (French work laws). Contrat à durée indéterminée.
- 35 working hours per week (annual base)
- Time in lieu for overtime hours worked (récupération du temps de travail)
- 5 weeks annual paid vacation
- Health security financed out of the gross wage
- 60% of the cost of Mutuelle (complementary Health security) paid by the Juno Beach Centre (approx.100 € net per month).
- Housing provided (shared house in the heart of Courseulles-sur-Mer at walking distance from the JBC). Avantage en nature.
If your experience and your abilities are relevant for this position.
If you wish to work in a dynamic, iconic and major Canadian historical site.
If you want to make your mark in the growth of a nationally focused, non-profit organization.
If you are interested in living in France and experiencing immersion in a French work environment with Canadian and French colleagues.
- Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and three references to Nathalie Worthington, Director of the Juno Beach Centre, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with “VISITOR SERVICES MANAGER– Name” in the subject line.
We thank all candidates who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. The application deadline is February 28, 2020, though submissions will be reviewed upon reception. Prospective candidates may be contacted for an interview prior to the formal closing date.
For information about the Juno Beach Centre, visit www.junobeach.org.
Dispatches from Juno shares all the news, events, and stories from the Juno Beach Centre in France and Canada. Interested in contributing a story to the blog? Email the editor at email@example.com.