On D-Day, June 6, 1944, in Bernières-sur-Mer, Domaine Pelloquin was temporarily transformed into a field hospital, gathering the wounded soldiers, whether they were Canadians, British or Germans, and even civilians from the village.
This event is not forgotten because of some temporary burials, remembered by the persistence of rose trees planted by the owners just after D-Day.
Both rural and historical site, the farm buildings Granges Pelloquin have housed the agricultural activity of this stronghold; grain, flax, breeding of pigeons in a dovecote today disappeared.
The place owes its name to the noble Denis Pelloquin, lord of Bernières, master of accounts in Rouen, living there at the end of the 16th century.
Such historical sites are rare where one can meet history, remembrance and vacation spirit so close to the sea.
The farm buildings have been restored and since the beginning of the year they have been transformed into a magnificent house.
Dispatches from Juno shares all the news, events, and stories from the Juno Beach Centre in France and Canada. Interested in contributing a story to the blog? Email the editor at email@example.com.